Thursday, September 4, 2008

Why

I have recently been challenged with the question, "why train in ninpo taijutsu?"  If the question is posed to ten different people, you will be presented with ten different answers.  For me, training in the ancient and authentic budo is motivated by several purposes.  I wish to be capable of defending those close and precious to me.  I wish to serve my country by defending her against enemies both foreign and domestic.  Historically, it was expected that a man be adept in the fighting arts, to our shame, this is no longer the case.  

"Combat is an unusual experience for most of us, but then emergencies of any kind always are.  However, combat does occur, and any fully educated person knows this and prepares for it."   Jeff Cooper, To Ride, Shoot Straight, And Speak The Truth  

I will not be guilty of empowering the wicked in the violent pursuit of their misdeeds by failing to act.  If God so designs, my sword will cut clean and true, giving living expression to the "life-giving sword."  

No comments: